Thursday, March 25, 2010

While writing this I am sitting on my bed feeling the cool evening breeze on my face and listening to the rain pitter pattering on the ground outside my window. It rained most of the night yesterday and again tonight. As I listen to the rain I am thinking about those who live in the Mathare slums. I'm praying that their homes will not flood...that they won't get sick from the standing water...that God will keep them safe and dry... and that the hot sun will dry the land tomorrow.

I had the pleasure of working with the Micro Enterprise department today by shadowing Virginiah Kamau. While there I learned about how their loan process works and how they train people that live in the slums a traid and how to start there own business. After they fill out an application and are accepted into the program they are placed into a group. They currently have about 35 groups with about 10-25 members in each group.

I had the opportunity to sit in on group meetings for Matunda (Fruits) which as 10 members and Kupendana (Loving One Another) which as 24 members. We were only able to make the tail end of Matudas meeting. This group was formed this month and is still in the early stages of getting their loan. This means as a group they have to save 30% of the loan amount before Missions of Hope can give them the loan.

Kupendana on the other hand has been together for 4 years now and is doing very well. It was very interesting to sit thru the meeting. Most of there time together was spent collecting money to be put in the bank to pay back their load and marking in the books who gave what amounts. But after that they started a discussion amongst the group in swahili. I could tell by their tone that this was a very serious conversation but wasn't sure what they were talking about. After a few minutes Verginiah realized that I was left in the dark and filled me in on what was going on. She told me that Kupendana was interested in taking out another loan so that they can purchase a plot of land outside of the slums and divide the land equally amongst the group so that they can move out of the slums. The debate was evidentially on what plot of land they should purchase. I later found out that early next week they will be purchasing the plot and it will take several years before they will be able to build homes and move their families onto the property. At the end of the meeting I gave them words of encouragement, blessings and told them that they would be in my prayers. It was so good to see a group of people doing so well and trying their best to get out of there current living conditions.

Sorry that I didn't write a post yesterday, I got busy and completely forgot. Let me see if I can give a quick recap of the day... Meredith (another apprentice) and I worked with the social work department and shadowed Jane (pronounced Jan). We took a matatu to the Huruma Center and did a few home visits. But the highlight for the day was watching the kids of the in the school practicing for the Missions of Hope 1st annual Talent Show on April 10. I was amazed at how talented these young boys and girls were. I know that they do well in the competition. Below are some photos that I took while visiting the center. I also took a few videos but I promised the head master that I would not show anyone until after the competition so other centers won't steal their ideas. They are very serious about competitions in Kenya.

No comments: