Friday, March 19, 2010

I mentioned the other day that the Kamau children had fun playing with the Photo Booth on my laptop when we were in Mombasa. At the time the internet was being slow and would not let me upload photos or video to the post. So, for your viewing pleasure here is a video David Kamau (3 years old) singing a song with Victory Kamau and Baraka goofing off in the background. You can also check out my Facebook album to see some of the photos they took that night as well. It has been so much fun getting to know the personalities of each of their children.


Before I talk about my day let me fist say that I appreciate all the comments on my blog posts and Facebook status/photos. I enjoy reading each and every one and feel truly blessed to know that you are praying for all the good work that is happening in the Nairobi slums through Missions of Hope International and CMF. Please continue to pray for me, the other 5 apprentices, the missionaries, teachers and staff bring His light to a dark place.

This morning I woke up at 6:30 AM to get ready for a long day in the slums. I went downstairs and eat breakfast with the family (13 of us) wished Victory happy birthday and hopped in the van around 8 AM to go to the main office/Pangani Center. Today was my second day of orientation with the CHE (Community Heath Evangelism) department. This time I was shadowing Robert to the Baba Ndogo section of the slums. Because it is far from Pangani we had take a matatu there. Which is always an interesting experience.

Once we arrived in Baba Ndogo we visited several of the homes of people who have volunteered to be leaders of a CHE group in there village. Our job was to encourage and pray over those who have recently finished there training and are now trying to figure out what there community project is going to be. Most of the time these visits are fairly short (about 10 minutes) but today our last stop lasted about one and a half hours. Near the beginning of our visit she told us that they thought it would be good to open a nursery/daycare center so the mother could go to work during the day. By the end of our meeting she told us about her second idea which consisted of of using her sowing machine that she currently uses outside her home to mend clothing for the community to make mosquito nets and sell them to her neighbors to help prevent the spread of malaria. Both sound like great ideas of ways to help her fellow Kenyans and to spread the word of God's love. It is great to see God's hand working thru the people living in the slums change there own community.

After we were done with our visits we hopped (and I mean that literally) back on a matatu to head back to Pangani for lunch and worked at the center until it was time to leave at 3 PM to come home. As I told you earlier today Victory turned 11 years old so, for dinner we picked up several pizzas and a two of the apprentices baked him a chocolate cake with triple chocolate frosting and sprinkles on top. What a great end to a long week!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Brandon, I love hearing about your daily routine! I would love to have a picture of the bus you ride. Have there been any animals aboard yet? Thank-you for all the info!

Brandon Adams said...

Thanks Anonymous for the post but i'm not sure who you are. In the future when you are logged in as Anonymous can you please put your name at the end of your comments so that I know who you are? Thanks!